Power Of Prayer: 2-Year-Old Girl Miraculously Survives Pool Accident

The power of prayer helped save the life of a two-year-old girl after she hit her head at a swimming pool.

medical miracle Evelynn Jo Sharp

Her recovery is being hailed as “a miracle,” and giving all the glory to God.

The incident

Evelynn Jo Sharp experienced a terrifying episode in Hughes County on June 12 when she climbed the pool’s slide at the Holdenville Swimming Pool and slipped.

“She landed flat on her back and you could hear her head hit,” explained grandmother Leslie Smith, who brought Evelynn and her siblings to the pool.

Evelyn was crying from pain but eventually calmed down, ate some nachos, and was back in the water with a smile. But a little while later, she was vomiting, became unconscious, and started having a seizure.

“Her eyes were fixed,” Smith explained. “She wasn’t blinking anymore. She was unresponsive. She wasn’t talking to me.”

Evelyn was aided by her grandmother and a nurse practitioner as emergency responders rushed to the scene. She was soon flown by helicopter to OU Health– University of Oklahoma Medical Center.

“Nothing can compare to how your heart just drops,” said Smith. “I didn’t want to lose her and I didn’t want to have to call her parents and tell my daughter that her daughter may be gone.”

Evelynn had to be intubated and endured many tests from a slew of doctors at OU Health. They feared her brain was bleeding and that she could be facing traumatic brain damage or even death.


But the people of God were at work praying for Evelyn and the entire family, it was a miracle when the tests didn’t show any of these signs. Evelynn had a hematoma and a small skull fracture and was going to be okay. Within 24 hours, she was released from the hospital.

Power of Prayer

Throughout this time, the family’s loved ones, churches, and businesses throughout the area prayed for Evelynn’s recovery. “Everybody’s life is affected by somebody else’s life and there were hundreds of people praying for her,” the mother shared.

Prayers were indeed answered within a short frame of time. “I’ve struggled with my faith,” expressed Evelynn’s mother Melissa Sharp.


“I’ve struggled with believing God was real and this was the proof. My daughter should be a vegetable. There’s no way she should be 100 percent, walking around at a park.”

“She should still be at a hospital. She should still be unconscious. She should still be sedated. But within 22 hours she was released and she’s 100 percent.” Smith shared.

“It’s a miracle,” she said. “There’s no reason for that baby to be here without it being a miracle. But God, he had her. The whole entire time he had her.”

The family is asking for more prayers as Evelynn visits a neurologist in two weeks for a checkup, even as medical professionals believe she will be just fine.

Brighten Your Day :)

Get uplifting Christian Stories and good news in your INBOX for free.