Family Saved From House Fire By Teen After They Lost Their Sense Of Smell Due To COVID-19

Three members of a Texas family who were COVID-19 positive were able to escape from a house fire thanks to a fourth family member who didn’t have the virus.


Bianca Rivera, 17, was able to save her family after smelling burning plastic, “I started smelling burning plastic and that’s when I got more alert and ran outside my room and I couldn’t even pass the hallway there was so much smoke…I knew I had to wake everyone up,” Rivera said.

“Honestly it was just me protecting my family and getting them to (safety). It didn’t matter to me if I was going to get hurt or I was going to get burned as long as I got them out safe and sound, I was going to be fine,” she added.

The fire broke out around 2 a.m. Friday in the one-story house, which was a total loss. “I don’t really count myself as a hero I just did what anyone else would do for their own family. I just wanted everyone to get out safe and alive,” Rivera said.

One of the most common symptoms of COVID-19 is a loss of smell or taste.

The family members were able to escape with only the clothes on their backs, she said. Three children and seven adults shared the home, the Red Cross is assisting the family.


Comments are closed.

Brighten Your Day :)

Get uplifting Christian Stories and good news in your INBOX for free.